Sunday, April 27, 2008

Raise Your Hand

If you like to do housework, raise your hand. Now don't get me wrong, I love a clean house but the process is not what really interests me.
I really enjoy the clean linen closet that only took me 30 minutes and had needed to be done for 6 months. I do like the extra space in the linen closet since I threw out the towels that are 5 years older than my oldest grandchild (she is 14) and I open the door to it more often since things don't fall down on me anymore.
I love the smell of my clean bedding when I crawl in at night, but the time it takes.Whew!
I have decided I am a slob, there I said it. I used to be able to blame it on three kids, I am a single mom, I work full time. The kids are adults now, it is just me and the cat. At the end of the week there are 5-7 pairs of shoes in various spots, cloths on the bathroom floor, dishes in the sink and I cannot blame anyone. It is not fair.
Last Friday when I got into my car to go home from work I noticed I had 5 empty yogurt bottles on the floor of my car, one for each day of the week that I drank them on the way to work.
I wasn't raised this way, but I seem to have perfected it over time.
When I was a kid, housework was called "chores". I had chores, my sister had chores. When my Dad worked late part of my chores was to feed the horse (I was allergic to hay)
Did you get all your chores done so you can come out and play?
What are my chores today?
Why do I have those chores and Susie doesn't?
Does the term "housework" sound any better than "chores", I don't think so.
But, anyway I pretty much got most or at least part, the important part of my housework, chores done so maybe I can go out and play.

So....raise your hand if you like to do housework.

9 comments:

Aly said...

I LOVE a clean house!! It just doesn't stay that way for very long!! I am not emotionally well when my house is such a mess, but I can't seem to stay on top of it!! Your house always seems clean to me! I remember when I was a kid you would leave a list to be done before you got home!! Most days I played all day until 4:30 and then freaked out when I looked at the clock and would run home in attempt to get it all done!! You would then come home and try and figure out what I had done instead of my chores!! LOL!!!!

The Wibergs said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I enjoyed meeting you too on Saturday. As I mentioned, I have met you through your blog. It's fun (and a little less wierd) to meet you in real life & not just know you through the blog-world.

I'm right there with you. Some part of my house is always messy. I'm doing good when at least the main living area is clean. When I was young my mom used to tell me that if I didn't have a clean room I would feel disheveled all day. I thought she was nuts, but it's true. She also used to give me those job lists Aly talked about, and I did the exact same thing as Aly did! How funny.

Unknown said...

You are so funny! I loved reading this. I have a love/hate relationship with cleaning. Right now I actually LOVE cleaning if I don't have crying kids interrupting me every 5 seconds. Joe went to play video games with some friends a few weeks ago. I put the kids to bed and decided that mopping the floor sounded more fun than anything else to me. It's somehow therapeutic. But just because I love the end result...not necessarily the doing. On the Price is Right today, they had "maid service for a year" in one of the showcases. Now THAT would be a great prize!

The Wibergs said...

Dang, I'd take the maid service for a year! Sign me up for that show!

(although in reality I'd be to embarrassed to let the maid see the filth I sometimes live in. Maybe that would inspire me to clean more.)

Diane said...

OK, so my hand is raised. I actually do enjoy cleaning and how I feel when it's done. I'd happily try the maid thing though. I could probably find a lot more things I like doing better than cleaning house. I feel like the minority around here...I think the whole neighborhood has a maid service!

Kimberly said...

I love a clean house. I loved cleaning the house BEFORE I had kids! Now that I have kids it takes all day to clean, do laundry, straighten, etc. I miss the days where I could spend 2 hours do all of those things and be done!

Chuck said...

Cleaning a messy house sucks. That is why I have a high power, hot wife that does our maintenance. If you want the next level of a vaccum I would recommend a dog. Our dog cleans windows, plays with the kids on the trampoline, and he eats any laundry that is left laying around. He will pull up the carpet if you leave him unattended. He does wear a size 12 shoe with the best of them. At the end of the day when it is time to clean the house or do chores it could be compared to having to spend your extra money on toilet supplies. It is a must but it is better if someone else does it for you.

B-bop said...

Are you actually allergic to hay and horses? I love you grandma! love Annie.

Aly said...

Testing