Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's Almost Time

Since "Sugar Cookie" Season is fast approaching (some call it Valentines Day) I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes. It has a lot of history. My sweet redheaded sis Suzie gave it to me along time ago. I think the recipe has been doubled maybe even tripled over time so you could cut in half (heaven forbid) or I sometimes 1 1/2 times it depending on the project. when my kids were little we would make them at Halloween, each kid making his/her own and decorating. They would get to do with them what they wanted and I remember Nate keeping them under his bed till they were gone. We made big heart shaped ones for our neighbors, one for each member of the family putting their names on each one. We worked for days and I think one year I bought 25 pounds of powder sugar for the frosting (and used almost all of it!) We would then deliver our treasures out to each family. What fun!! My sister Yvonne likes them plain without frosting (I don't know what is wrong with her) but you can color the dough if you have anybody strange like that. Or put sugar crystals on them too! Anyway start some traditions of your own, put this one in the recipe box, it is a keeper and most of all take time to eat too many yourself.

SUGAR COOKIES
7 cups of flour
2 cups shortening (crisco)
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
Mix together flour,salt, baking powder and sugar
Cut in shortening like you would for pie dough
Beat eggs and milk together
Add to flour mixture and mix (okay this is the part if you have a kitchen aid mixer, use it)
If not then mix by hand, if you have a large teenage boy or husband around to do this part it really helps.
Roll out, cut you favorite shapes. Bake on PAM sprayed cookie sheet @375 for 9-11 minutes
These stay soft for along time, they can be made and frozen until you are ready to frost.
BUTTER CREAM FROSTING
1 cup shortening
1 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 lbs powder sugar
milk or water to thin
beat butter, shortening together, add vanilla then powder sugar 1/3 at a time till combined
You can substitute 8 oz of cream cheese for the shortening (yummy)
instead of vanilla add 1 tsp almond extract and 1 tsp vanilla
Instead of extract with the cream cheese add some orange zest and some orange juice to thin (again yummy)

11 comments:

Darcie said...

MMMM!! Thanks for sharing I think I might make these for FHE on monday the kids will be VERY excited!!!

Hiller Family said...

They sound absolutely delish! Thanks for sharing a treasured favorite.

Kimberly said...

My mom always makes sugar cookies for Valentines day! I can't let the holiday pass without them. I think I'm gonna try your recipe this year...yummm!

The Wibergs said...

They sound great! THanks for sharing. My goodness that is a big batch though (which is perfect for my snacking habits)!

SuperCoolMom said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes Deanie! and thanks for the new recipe! YUM! I LOVE sugar cookies and love to try new recipes for them! Do you mind if I post your recipe on my recipe blog? That way I know where all my faves are :)

Supercool Hotmama said...

Thanks! It's supercoolmomsrecipes.blogspot.com :)

The Wibergs said...

Deanie,
We tried this out last night and MMMMM!!!! We LOVED them. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie said...

man I love those cookies!!! I remember aunt suzy making them all the time when I was little!! I know my mom has that recipe, but I'm glad you posted it as well!! Time to start or continue on a "sweet" family tradition!!!
Thanks aunt deanie!!

Diane said...

I think you got me started with the whole sugar cookie season thing. I'm gonna try your recipe...thanks.

Unknown said...

OK...I'm on a sugar fast, so my mouth is WATERING. This was a very painful blog post for me. I might have to just give in for Valentine's Day...yum!

Aly said...

This is making me want to go make them RIGHT NOW!! I love this recipe and it has so many memories with it! Thanks for making our childhood such a fun (and yummy) one.