Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Momma

July 9, 1920 - June 8, 1991

She was always Momma to me, not Mom or Mother.
I was the youngest so of course her favorite!
She was and is the best cook I know.
She taught me to make bread.
She read everything and taught me to love books.
She took me to the library and in the summertime to the Bookmobile (how many of you are old enough to know what that is)
She played piano beautifully and was wise enough to NOT give me piano lessons.
She could sew anything and was also wise enough to let me learn it in school.

She would let me cook anything I wanted to as long as I cleaned up the mess. Aly knows from experience that I was not that patient or understanding when it came to the kitchen.
She was the oldest daughter.
She was born in Delta Utah
She loved the TV series "MASH" and would always beat my kids at the trivia game.
She hated snakes.
She curled her hair with "Bobby Pins" when I was a kid.
She did not like to get up early.
She raised 4 daughters and 1 son. With 1 bathroom.
She was a Democrat and my Dad was a Republican.
She taught me that voting was one of the most important things we do.
She taught me that life is not easy.



She always had a stack of quilt blocks going. To use up any scraps of material. I didn't think much of it until I tried making some myself, I couldn't get the corners to match like hers. I finally gave up and learned a new appreciation for her talents.
She passed away on her Mother's birthday, Grandma came and took her home.
She was one of a kind and I love and miss her every day of my life.


Happy Birthday Momma

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

I think the word "Momma" is so endearing. My kids call me that a lot and I love it!

Those pictures of your mom were so neat to see. I think you look like your mom.

Diane said...

What a sweet post. I'm sure she is missing you too. She sounds like a wonderful momma. One thing I know for sure...she raised a wonderful, sweet daughter. I'm so glad you're my friend. Thanks for sharing her with all of us who love reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Awe...so sweet! I can't imagine what life must be like without your momma...I don't really want to think about that phase of life just yet I'm sure she's proud of you!

The Wibergs said...

Sorry not on the topic...
I think I saw you yesterday afternoon at Maceys. Were you there? I actually said 'Hi Deanie', but then cowered because I wasn't sure it was you! My husband was totally laughing at me!

Aly said...

It is funny that you always called her momma...that is what Annie has always calls me and I'm not sure where she got it.

The last picture on the right is the only one that looks like grandma to me:)

I remember sleeping over with her. I remember alot about her actually.

Very sweet post.

SuperCoolMom said...

That is such a sweet tribute to your Momma! She reminds me a lot of my Grandma (talented, kind, awesome cook!)

Thank you so much for the Lemon Water recipe! I hope you don't mind that I posted it on supercoolmomsrecipes dot blogspot dot com.

B-bop said...

i love it.